Monday, May 20, 2013

Big Town Hero - On Commercial St (across from Fred Meyer) in Salem, OR

Concerning the chain as a whole, the bread is typically pretty fresh, made every morning on site, I believe. The meats are not cut when you order, unfortunately, but they are still as fresh and flavorful as is reasonable to expect. Their panini selection is tasty enough, but way overpriced in my mind. No french fries, just chips, soups, cookies, and drinks. If you ask for a pickle, they will give you a spear at no extra cost.


The one in Salem used to be a lot better. It's still OK, but not as good as it used to be with the last owners. The new owner seems to be more "business-minded" and less about customer satisfaction. He seems to be learning though. The size of the sandwiches are starting to get a little bigger again and they are tasting better.

One time I watched an employee drop some packaged meat on the floor, pick it up, and put it on the cutting board. True, it was packaged, but now he has transferred what was on the floor to the cutting board, where he proceeded to make a sandwich... I was displeased, to say the least. Ever heard of cross-contamination there kiddo?? But I guess there's a price to be paid for hiring cheap labor/high school kids.

Yelp

Big Town Hero on Urbanspoon

564 Powell St E Monmouth, OR 97361
I used to eat at the Monmouth store regularly while I was attending WOU. The quality is consistently good, the service was very fast, and the employees were all very nice. They went out of their way to remember who I was and make pleasant conversation while I decided what I wanted to eat.

Yelp

Big Town Hero on Urbanspoon

11 E Ash St Lebanon, OR 97355
I've been to the one in Lebanon a few times, usually on the way back from cutting firewood down south. It may be my favorite of the three I've been to. The one in Monmouth, however, is a close second.

Yelp

Big Town Hero on Urbanspoon


No comments:

Post a Comment